Project Name: Implementation of EMP, RAP, SDP and EMDP for Nam Ngum 2 Hydroelectric Power Project, Lao PDR
Name of Company: TEAM Consulting Engineering and Management Co., Ltd.
Location: Vientiane Province, Lao PDR
Client: Nam Ngum 2 Power Company (NN2PC) Limited
Project Cost: 854.1 million Baht
Type of Project: Implementation of Environmental and Social Impacts Mitigation and Monitoring Measures, Resettlement, Rural Development
Project Period: 2005-2011
Nam Ngum 2 Hydroelectric Power Project has been constructed for the electricity generation in central Lao PDR. As a result of this project, 16 villages with about 1,200 Household and 5,800 persons need to be relocated because their houses and properties are to be submerged by the reservoir impoundment. Environmental and social mitigation measures were included in Project implementation from the start.
In this connection, the project developer (NN2 PC) has engaged TEAM as the consultant to plan and supervise the implementation of Environmental Management Program (EMP), Resettlement Action Plan (RAP), Social Development Plan (SDP) and Ethnic Minority Development Plan (EMDP).
EMP are to be implemented in the NN2 reservoir area, downstream area and part of the watershed area while RAP, SDP and EMDP are focus in the resettlement area at Muang Fuang, host communities and related vicinity. The services of TEAM include the followings;
1. Set up and Operate the Resettlement and Environmental Management and
Monitoring Unit (REMMU)
- Set up working system of REMMU.
- Assist Public Consultation Program.
- Formulate the Compensation Entitlement and Asset Valuation Policy.
- Assist and facilitate the compensation payment and grievance process.
2. Environmental Management Plan (EMP)
- Supervise and follow up work progress of reservoir clearing.
- Supervise water quality monitoring during the construction and commissioning phase.
- Follow up watershed management program
3. Resettlement Action Plan (RAP)
- Assist and facilitate land acquisition for resettlement development
- Identify and survey of additional site.
- Develop an alternative physical planning, layout and development scheme.
- Consultation and finalization of resettlement sites and development plan with Project Affected Persons (PAPs).
- Supervise detailed design and construction of for infrastructure and public facilities, including:
- Infrastructure; - Local and Village Roads, Dam for Water Supply/ Irrigation, Water Supply Distribution System, Irrigation System, Electricity Distribution System
- Public Facilities; - Primary and Secondary Schools, Village Offices, Health Center, Public Hall, Market, Bus Station, Temple, Public Parks, Sanitary Landfill for Solid Wastes, Wet Land for Market Wastewater Treatment
- Houses - 1,100 units of 5 typical house for PAPs
4. Social Development Plan (SDP)
- Community Development Program.
- Livelihood Restoration Program.
- Occupational Training Program.
5. Ethnic Minority Development Plan (EMDP)
- Traditional and Cultural Re-Adjustment Program.
- Ethnic Community and Livelihood Development.